Saturday, July 13, 2013

DIY Puppy Art

One of my sons is obsessed with puppies!  He has always loved them and I was in the mood for a new project so I decided to make him a custom piece for his room. 



 I started with 4 pieces of cheap pine which I put 2 coats of black stain on.  I wasn't sure what I was going for but I knew the black stain wasn't enough so I pulled out the acrylic paints.


  I put off white, blue and brown on a paper plate with a bit of water.  Using a paper towel, I began rubbing the wet paint right on to the stained wood.  I used one color at a time.  I kept adding more and more paint and it became weathered looking.  I wiped it on and smeared it off with the paper towel.  I made sure to stay going with the grain of the wood.  



I added a few spatters as well. 


This is what I ended up with but I knew it needed something more.  That's when I decided to give it a sanding all over, being careful to get the edges really well.  It gave it a much more weathered look!  I don't have a close up of that part unfortunately.  


My husband used one inch pine strips on the back to attach the pieces.  

I drew a puppy on and painted it black.  My son wanted it outlined in yellow and I think that really made it come to life.  

And there you have it.  A one of a kind custom piece of art for your home.  Think about all of the possibilities.  You can put ANY animal your kiddo loves, add quotes, or Mod Podge a large photo right on top!  I hope you have a blast creating your own!  Happy crafting!

For more wood panel art check out my posts here and here.


No comments:

Post a Comment