Thursday, February 16, 2012

Star Wars Cake

As you know my son is having a Star Wars party (...in just 2 days)!  He requested an R2D2 cake, so this is my attempt at it.  This cake was not difficult to make but it was REALLY time consuming.  I broke it up into a couple of days; one for baking, one for assembling, and one for the details.  If I did it again, I'd make two attempts at the details.  My hand was really sore after all of the piping.  


So here's what I did...I made one cake in a glass bowl for the top of his head.   I also made 4 eight inch round cakes.  I stacked the rounds with frosting in between the layers and I added several dowels for support.  Then I placed the head on top.  I did a quick crumb coat and put it back in the fridge.  After about twenty minutes I put a smooth layer of white icing all around the cake.  I did this before I added the legs so I could get it as smooth as possible.  


Next I used store bought Rice Crispy Treats for the legs.  I used 2 on each side for the height.  I rounded the tops and then added little triangles to the bottom to give his legs the right shape.  I attached the legs with frosting and put a layer of frosting on the outside of them too.  Then I put R2 back in the refrigerator until the next day.




Decorating time ~ I frosted his head in gray and then used a toothpick to draw on the details.  I used some of our own R2D2 toys as a guide.  Then I piped over the lines.  It took forever and my hand was killing me. 


But...that didn't matter once I saw my son's face.  He loved it.  And he never cares if it's perfect or not.  My gift to him is my best effort at making something special.  When I look at it, I see the flaws.  When he looks at it, he sees a really "good" cake.  And that's good enough for me!

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I was curious for how long did you bake his head in the bowl? I want to do this but I'm scared I'm going to burn it. lol Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started off baking it the regular time for a 9 inch round. Then I kept poking it with a testing stick and added a few minutes at a time. I don't actually know how many minutes I ended up baking it but I do know I pretty much sat next to the oven and kept checking it constantly. Sorry I don't have a more specific answer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totaling creepin' on your archives. ;) love this cake! I've made a death star and a Millenium Falcon but they were not in this category of awesome! You are an amazing cake decorator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...Betsi you are cracking me up! You're comments don't show up on my email for some reason...weird. I can't even imagine a Millenium Falcon cake. Yikes! I'd love to see pics of it!

      Delete
  4. Found your cake through Pinterest! It is AWESOME! My son wants a Millenium Falcon cake for his 5th. I am totally intimidated but willing to try! You are right though, its all about the effort and they will be thrilled with the outcome! Great party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did you use to color the frosting? and what did you make the blue squares and red circle out of? The part I am having trouble with is getting the frosting the right color and how to make the smaller shapes.

    ReplyDelete